Not much is going on as far as hive maintenance, but January is a great month to get caught up on updates in the beekeeping world. Curl up with a warm blanket and a good bee resource. Browse a few websites to find your favorite resources or if you like the feel of physical pages, try the American Bee Journal for monthly updates. Here are a few of our favorite resources here at Shonnards.
- Shonnard’s YouTube page. Look for our Beekeeping Series!
- Shonnard’s Website, Beekeeping Tutorials
- OSU Honeybee Labs
- Scientific Beekeeping with Randy Oliver
- The Beekeeper’s Handbook by Alphonse Avitabile and Diana Sammataro
- The Backyard Beekeeper by Kim Flottum
- Garden Plants for Honeybees by Peter Lindtner
- The Hive and the Honeybee – A Dadant Publication (many noteworthy authors, including LL Langstroth himself!)
- Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping by Dewey Caron and Lawrence John Connor
Pre-Order Live Bees
We are proud to offer our community the chance to discover the incredibly rewarding hobby, and responsibility, of beekeeping. We are a distributer of live bees for Fred Selby, a 2nd generation beekeeper. After being head of the Shonnard’s Nursery beekeeping department, Fred now professionally operates his apiary near Brownsville, Oregon.